Agencia para la Gestión del Paisaje, el Patrimonio y las Alianzas Público Privadas- Agencia APP
Contact project leads
Public-Private Partnership to design, construction, partial or total reconstruction, extension, financing, operation, maintenance and provision of services of 13 educational institutions in Medellin, in order to extend the educational quality and coverage in the city with the implementation of Single-Shift System for 11, 280 students.
The project will help to reduce the 3 main educational issues in the city:
1. Quality: According to OECD data of PISA test in 2015, Colombia is below the average of OECD countries with 425 over 493 in Reading, 390 over 490 in Mathematics, and 416 over 493 in Sciences.
2. Deficient infrastructure: Lack of maintenance, high reconstruction costs and non-compliance of infrastructure norms that turn the current schools as no proper spaces to learn.
3. School population vulnerability: The lack of a Single-Shift System in the schools, means greater exposure of street risks such as drug consumption, criminal activities and teen pregnancy, which in turn means higher student dropout rates, that according to DANE (National Administrative Statistics Department), were 10,761 students in 2015.
National Ministry of Education, PPP Agency of Medellin
Form of project announcement
Inclusion in infrastructure plan/strategy document
According to National Plan of Educational Infrastructure (PNIE), the Colombian government through the Ministry of Education requires the structuring a project to guarantee not only the construction, but the operation of non-educational services as maintenance, cleaning and surveillance in the city of Medellin. This plan, part of the premise of seeking access expansion with quality, thanks to "strengthening of the teaching staff, improvement of infrastructure, modification of schedule, institutionality and allocation of resources, in order to promote progress substantial part of the whole training process, bridging gaps with leading education nations, and within the country between urban and rural areas and between regions."
In addition, in terms of development plans, the National Development Plan ("PND") 2014 - 2018," All for a New Country", has as one of its three pillars "Colombia the most educated", whose vision for 2025 is to be the most educated country in Latin America, establishing that the Single-Shift System is a public policy purpose of the PND 2014 - 2018 that seeks to provide equitable education and increase the permanence of children in schools to improve the quality of training and mitigate the risks of exposure of school-age children to access to psychoactive substances, crime, among others.
Indicative timetable of project development
On June 5, 2015, through the Inter-administrative contract No.0857 the National Ministry of Education entrusted Financial of National Development (FDN), for the structuring of educational infrastructure projects for Medellin, and other territories such as Cartagena, Barranquilla and Antioquia.
On June 19, 2015, the Ministry of National Education and the Mayoralty of Medellin signed the "Agreement of wills to advance collaboration and support actions for the structuring of a pilot project of educational infrastructure in Medellin through the scheme of public private partnerships - PPP”
Draft of the Agreement 112 of October 2017, which was approved by the Council of Medellin in the first debate on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 and in the second debate on Saturday, November 4, 2017. This Agreement authorized future funds of the local government to finance 28% of the value of the project during the 18 years of operation of the schools. The remaining 72% of the value of the project will be financed by the National Ministry of Education through its PPP quota.
On November 2017, Inter-administrative agreement signed between the Ministry of National Education and the Mayor's Office of Medellin, through the Secretary of Education.
On January 25, 2018 an amendment was signed, in which it modifies the scope of the project, going from eight (8) to thirteen (13) Educational Institutions. That is, increasing five (5) Educational Institutions for greater co-financing by the Nation.
The publication of the pre-specifications of the public bidding process for the award of the APP project in Medellin was held on January 29, 2018.
The schedule of the bidding process is designed to open in March and to award in July 2018, ie to target the concessionaire before the end of the current government period, which is in 2019.
There are no Project documents available at this time
Project looking for additional PPF assistance
Project looking for additional MDB assistance
Is project multi jurisdictional?
Stage 2: Project Investigation
0 M USD 0 M COP
Indicative Funding Source
Have any external advisors been appointed yet
Details of Advisors appointed
Financial of National Development (FDN)
The FDN focuses on overcoming market gaps and mobilizing funding sources to achieve the development of infrastructure in the country, under proper risk management. This means that they support the projects with a direct financing contribution and also through the attraction of different key actors to achieve an integral financing that allows to realize the big infrastructure projects that Colombia requires.
Is the project contained in national/sub national infrastructure plan or strategy
Stage 3: Start of Project Feasibility / Business Case
Legal Advisors Appointed
Durán & Osorio Abogados
Financial Advisors Appointed
International Finance Corporation
Technical and Other Advisors (inc Project Preparation Facility) Appointed
Euroestudios, Mott MacDonald
Is a Business Case Being Prepared?
Business Case Prepared By
Preparer company/department name
Estimated Business Case Completion Date
Estimated Time To Start Of Procurement
Any other relevant information relating to the project process
Language: All documents and information related to the offer and the contract must be submitted in Spanish. If any of them is in any other language, it must be accompanied by their respective translation into Spanish, which the proponent will endorse with his / her signature. In this case, for the purposes of the contracting process and the contract, the translation in Spanish will govern.
Colombian proponent or foreigners with domicile or branch in Colombia: All legal entities, national or foreign, domiciled or with a branch in Colombia, must attach the certificate of existence and legal representation issued by the Chamber of Commerce, indicating the following information and conditions. The existence and legal representation, the power of the legal representative to present the proposal and to sign the contract.
Colombian proponent or foreigners without domicile or branch in Colombia: Foreign legal entities without a branch in Colombia must prove their existence and legal representation, presenting a document issued by the competent authority in the country of their residence with the following aspects:
The existence, object and name of the legal representative, the legal capacity of the same for the presentation of the proposal and for the signing of the contract, and that has no limitations to present the proposal, sign the contract and / or for the contracting in case to be awarded.
That they have been constituted one (1) year before the closing date, that the term of duration is at least equal to the estimated total term of the contract and five (5) more years.
Representatives Foreign legal persons without residence in Colombia must accredit a representative domiciled in Colombia, duly authorized to present the proposal, participate and commit their representative in the different instances, sign the documents and declarations that are required. More than one person can be designated as proxy in Colombia.
Stage 4: Project Feasibility / Business Case Complete
Is the Business Case Complete?
Business case no longer being completed
Details For Next Step Of Project
The procurement lasts until June, according to the project schedule the concessioner should be awarded on that date.
Estimated Time To Start Of Procurement
Other Key Project timeline events
Procurement process opened for bidders from March to June.
Stage 5: Government Approval / Procurement Stage
Government Approvals Obtained
On October 31 and November 4, 2017, were debated and then approved in the Council of Medellin the project through the Agreement 53 of 2017. This Agreement authorized Future Funds of the local government to finance 28% of the value of the project during the 18 years of operation of the schools. The remaining 72% of the value of the project will be financed by the National Ministry of Education through its PPP quota.
Revenue Source Description
Revenue source will be through a existent mechanism called Future funds, divided among the local government (Mayoralty of Medellin) and the National Ministry of Education..
Explanation of regulatory regime
Regulatory regime is explained by Law 1508 of 2012, Law 80 of 1993, Law 1150 of 2007, Decree 1082 of 2015, Law 1753 of 2015 and Agreement 53 of 2017. General regulatory framework for sources of payment: Decree 111 of 1996, Law 715 of 2001, Law 1483 of 2011.
Length Of Contract (Years)
Length Of Contract Additional Information
The project lasts approximately 20 years (240 months), in which most of the educational infrastructure are for up to 12 months of pre-operation (financial closure and final designs), up to 20 months of construction and up to 214 months of operation and maintenance of built infrastructure.
Estimated Project Value (Local Currency)
341,590 M COP 109.5 M USD